Monday, October 31, 2011

“Breastfeeding...more than just good nutrition.”




I’ve been an advocate for breastfeeding for several years. I’ve became an advocate when I had an experience with a breastfeeding mom at my former job as a WIC Nutritionist. I learned that breastfeeding is the best you can give your baby, it has all the nutrients, babies are less likely to suffer for colds, flu, ear infections, and may help the mom return to normal weight. Also, I had a client that was physically disabled and obese to breastfed her baby for 12 months without formula supplement and lost 30lbs. I was so inspired to encourage all of the moms to breastfeed.
In Singapore, infants are breastfeed for at least 6 months for their life. Working mothers in Singapore nevertheless continue to breastfeed even though they are still working. Singapore is working towards make their work environment more breastfeeding friendly for the mother. This is a challenge that the US continue to make places breastfeeding friendly. I will continue to be in the family services field where I will promote breastfeeding because of the tremendous benefits. My motto is, “Breastfeeding...more than just good nutrition.”

1 comment:

  1. Andrea,

    I am also an advocate for breastfeeding. When my oldest was two weeks old, he became very sick. He became weak and would not nurse anymore. I pumped and used bottles for a little over three weeks while he was in the hospital and getting well. After we left the hospital and he was better, he still would not latch on again so I continued to pump for the next eleven months. It was very important to me that he have the important nutrients in breast milk. I wanted him to have the best possible healthy start to life. The bond that is created when a child nurses is also very important in the bonding that is created between mother and child. I am not saying that bottle fed babies do not bond to their parents, because they do; however, when a child depends totally on their mother for food there is another special connection.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete