Thursday, July 12, 2012

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture....(Week 3)




                                    Indian Store Owner…..

(Culture) My belief is that culture starts at home with family. Such praying and the way we dress in our Sari.

(Diversity) People that has different beliefs.



                                            My Sister….

(Culture) The way we are taught to do something. For example, cook certain food item and our beliefs.

(Diversity) Different type of thinking and beliefs from our own.



                   Caucasian Co-Worker (Early Childhood Professional)

(Culture) Culture starts at home where a variety things goes into developing cultural views. It is not what you see; it is what you we do.

(Diversity)  This is difference that can be embraced as a teachable moment for everyone.



Reflection…..

I like my co-worker explanation of diversity and culture. Her explanation reminded me of looking beyond the surface to culture. For example, it is not what we see, but what is deeper. Some professionals look at culture as what they see and taste. It was surprising to hear a deeper understanding.



One aspect that has been omitted is social identities that can be developed from the culture. Our cultural identity also influences how we live our other social identities (Derman and Edward, 2010).



Listening to other people definition of culture and diversity influenced me to learn more about culture and diversity to an effective early childhood professional. I think everyone needs to look at culture and diversity as a positive aspect in our society.







Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).


6 comments:

  1. I am very impressed that you chose such a diverse collection of people to ask. I don't think I would have been able to go to the local small business and ask someone their definition of culture and diversity!
    You lead by example! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,

    I noticed that a lot of people tend to focus on surface culture when defining culture. I think they would be surprised to learn that culture includes the way we think and respond to life experiences. This assignment has made me realize that we must share our knowledge about culture and diversity with others so that they can become knowledgeable about the topics as well. The more we know about both culture and diversity the better we can respond to issues related to them.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea,
    I noticed that your responses of diversity all involved the word “difference”, somewhat similar to the how the people I questioned responded. It is a great idea that we all look at both terms, diversity and culture, in positive ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea,
    I really like your puzzle, it says it all. But your comments are correct in food, clothing, and everything we do is a reflection of our upbringing. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Andrea

    I enjoyed reading the answers that you received from the people in your circle of communication. We all have our own perspective on culture and diversity and its good to see how other people define these terms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrea,

    I really enjoyed reading your post!!! They say pictures are worth a thousands words and the one you have provided really shows all aspects of diversity!! The answers that you received are just as diverse as the people who spoke them, and to me that says a whole lot about the extent of culture and diversity.

    ReplyDelete