Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My Family Culture….. (Week 2)

(This is my Aunt Cassandra’s Painting-“Baby Quilt”.  http://www.cassandragillens.com/index.html)

Quilt…..
My grandma has always sewed quilts as a part of her culture. The handmade quilts are a symbol of individualization and strength that our family is bonded together. For instance, a quilt is a gift my grandma gives as a wedding gift to family. The quilt will give me conform as a reminder of my family culture is still a priority in my life.
Grandma’s Holy Bible…..

My grandma’s bible has a lot of family history in it. Not only is there great knowledge of our religion, but there is a lot of my family members’ date of birth and date of death.  This is important because it is a history of my ancestors. It will remind me of my foundation and my religion.
Childhood Photo Album…..
My childhood family album means a lot to me. The pictures are family birthday parties, church events, and family gathering. Looking at the pictures would give a connection to my roots. It will remind me how important it is to be close to my family.
 
  • Overall, these items give me a sense of a connection to my family culture and know important it is for me to remember how I was raise, values, and beliefs. If I had to give up 2 of my items, I would feel a little lost and broken. I would feel like I’m leaving a piece of myself behind. I would try to remain strong, but I would be hurt inside.
  • As a result of this exercise, I was able to reflect on what really matters to me. It is not about money or materialistic items.  It is about items that have richer meaning, such as representing my culture and family values.


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful connections to family... beautiful art... wonderful intergenerational gifts... what would you pass forward to the next generation that represented your gift to the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gregory, I would past down my grandma’s bible. The bible will be the gift that will keep on giving. The bible has knowledge of our religion and a representation of many family members. Also, information can be add to bible and continue to be passed to the next generation. Great question!

      Thanks,
      Andrea

      Delete
  2. Andrea,

    Your aunt's picture is a beautiful representation of your family culture. I noticed that the items I would bring with me have very little monetary value, but they are extremely valuable to my family. I hope the future generations continue the tradition of your grandmother's quilt making. That is such a special gift.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete