Sunday, January 8, 2012

My Connections to Play!!!


"Children learn as they play. Most importantly, in play children learn how to learn."
O. Fred Donaldson
"Free the child's potential, and you will transform him into the world."
Maria Montessori






The role of play was very important to me as a young age. I can remember my mother supporting play with me as a young child. My Cabbage Patch Kid Lolita was favorite doll of all time. I remember getting her for Christmas on year, and it was the best! Lolita came with a birth certificate, and I remember signing my name on her birth certificate. When it was her birthday, I can remember my mom letting me invite a friend over with her Cabbage Patch for a pretend party. Also, I can remember playing school in my bedroom. I would take attendance and teaching my students (dolls). Reflecting on my childhood, I love teaching children. When I was pretending to play school and taking care of my dolls, it has fostered me into this profession. Children are my passion! This is a reason why children need play to learn and explore.  I believe play today is different from my childhood because it is full with technology to assist in the play. Its mind blowing to watch kids use the computer and send text messages better than adult can.  My 5 year-old step-son likes to play video games a lot, and we have always limit the time spend playing. I try to motivate him to go outside and experience just playing.   All early childhood programs should foster child-initial play. As children grow, it is a possibility the play will reflect what the child may become as an adult.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea! I enjoyed reading your childhood experiences with play. Those cabbage patch dolls will never be forgotten. I had too many of them. Your passion for teaching kids was discovered through your childhood play. I hope to read more of your posts in the future. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,

    Thank you for sharing your childhood experiences. I always new that I wanted to be a teacher. I can remember also playing school as a child and teaching my dolls and neighborhood children. Your mom was a very good supporter of your play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea,
    See, even when you were young you were teaching. It must have been meant to be! I use to have a chalkboard that I used to pretend to teach my dolls, and occasionally my older sister. It was so much fun!
    Arica

    ReplyDelete