Friday, September 14, 2012

Communication Interpretation…..(Week 2)


Communication Interpretation…..(Week 2)
 
“”The Big Bang Theory” is a cable show I’ve never watched but seen so many commercial for it. I thought this would be a great opportunity to watch the show to interpret the communication. The show consists of friends that are scientists that are not the coolest guy to communicate with others outside the science world.
Watching the show without sound was very interesting; I started to play close attention to the nonverbal cues such as gestures, movement, and eye contact to interpret the plot of the episode. I could interpret the relationship between the characters are close friends and they had similar interest.  I could tell the expression between the characters is friendly and could be serious at times.
Watching the show with sound gave it a new light. There was a particular scene where one of the characters was actually telling a joke but his facial expression was so serious, but it was actually funny. Without hearing the joke I missed it the first time I watched the show. If I would have watched a TV show I was more familiar with I could have did a better job assuming on the plot and characters. The familiarity of watching previous episodes would lead me to interpret the show.
What “”aha”” moment I had during this experience was, everything is not what it seems. It is important not prejudge from a gesture or look, but to examine the situation. Verbal communication can bring new mean to a conversation.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea,
    I agree that to really get a true understanding of someone of somthing it takes communications skills to help your understanding. I loved doing this assignment because it forced me to pay closer attention to body languge and other cues that help to me understand what was going on. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea,
    It seems the more "grown-up" a show is, the more dialogue driven it is. And the more kid-focused it is, the more the audience can figure out what's going on without verbal communication. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete