Tuesday, September 25, 2012

SIMILARTIES AND DIFFERENCES IN COMMUNICATION…. (WEEK 4)

SIMILARTIES AND DIFFERENCES IN COMMUNICATION…. (WEEK 4)
Surprising…..
Ø  On the Verbal Aggressiveness Scale, my mom scores me in the moderate level. She says I’m respectful and considerate of all view points, and I know how to argue fair. She reminded me as a young adult we would discuss things with my father, and I would listen to their side before making a decision. I believe my mom is able to notice these attributes, because she knows my personality.
 
Insights…..
Ø    It was amazing to learn how others see my communication skills differently from what I see for myself. I’ve learn that I’m a skilled communicator, but there are areas I need to improve to be an effective communicator to others.
·          I’ve learn I need to improve my communication skills with my particular context encounters to lower my anxiety level in my personal life, and professionally life to work effectively.
·         I’ve learn I need to improve my listening skills by focusing on more details in order to help my communication with my family members and colleagues.


4 comments:

  1. It is in the details isn't it? Although my Listening profile was Group 1, I am honestly truly bad at listening. If you don't see me write it down, it means I never heard it. That's one of the reasons I take notes at meetings (I even volunteer to take minutes!). There's not much chance I'll get better at listening. That's why my dogs don't even bother barking at me (unless their angry because I've been gone too long). They just come up and put their heads under my hands for a scratching of ears and "scrubbing" of backs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    I enjoyed reading your post and have had similar experiences in realizing that others view my communication skills differently than I view myself. I also realized I had to work on communication skills with my family as well as work on my active listening. I have learned a lot so far about the importance of effective communication. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea,
    I agree! I loved seeing how others feel I communicate! I find it interesting how people can view us in different ways than we view ourselves. I too need to work on my anxiety when communicating in different contexts in front of others. However, no matter how much I prepare myself I’m always extremely nervous!
    Arica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that reflecting on this opportunity to gain another's perspective is awesome! Especially because effective communication is so vital in our field! Great post!

    ReplyDelete